|Home > Technical Specialisations > Bi-lateral And Regional Free Trade Agreements
Bilateral And Regional Free Trade Agreements – FTAs
Australia’s recent FTAs with China, Japan and Korea and its pending involvement in the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement provide a host of opportunities for Australian exporters and importers.
Remember: companies trade, governments don't. Governments negotiate FTAs for your benefit. Have your say.
There are now dozens of preferential agreements being negotiated in the Asia-Pacific region, all of which create opportunities for individual companies to have their business preferences incorporated into the bargaining process.
What is not widely understood is that the many trade agreements already in force are also reviewed regularly by governments in order to keep in step with changing operating environments – there are always opportunities for constructive commercial input.
Tanda lobbies governments throughout the Asia-Pacific to secure tangible benefits for companies and industry bodies in the form of, for example, reduced tariffs on specific products.
TAFTA: Since entering into force on 1 January 2005, implementation of the Thai - Australian Free Trade Agreement has proceeded smoothly. More than 2,000 Certificates of Origin were issued between 1 Jan - 30 June 2005 indicating a steady uptake by Australian business. This uptake rate is expected to rise as business becomes increasingly familiar with opportunities afforded by the FTA.
Statistics for 2004-05 show bilateral merchandise trade growing 32 per cent to $8 billion. Over this period, total Australian exports to Thailand increased by 58 per cent year-on-year from $2.5 bn to $3.9 bn, with strong growth registered from products benefiting directly from TAFTA such as crude petroleum, aluminium, copper, medicaments and fresh fruit and vegetables. (See DFAT: An Encouraging Start)
In 2005, Tanda prepared confidential tariff and product-specific submissions on behalf of trading clients in respect of Australia-Thailand, Australia-China, China-ASEAN, Thailand-India and Australia-Malaysia agreements and negotiations.
During the year, members of our team liaised with officials from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade with regard to specific aspects of concern to clients in the Australia-Japan FTA feasibility study.
Tanda International also undertook a close study of the Australia-US FTA in order to advise an import client on a wide range of products covering 118 separate tariff classifications.
Make Free Trade Agreements Work for You: Tanda met with Australian negotiators to secure benefits for a client under the Thai-Australia Free Trade Agreement. As a result, duties on the client’s range of exports to Thailand were either significantly reduced or eliminated from 1 January 2005. The client also experienced increased exports to Thailand.
Those in bold are operational agreements but are under constant review due to changing economic environments and traders' needs.
- Australia/NZ/ASEAN AFTA-CER/CEP
- ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA)
- ASEAN-China Framework Agreement on Comprehensive Economic Cooperation (ACFTA)
- ASEAN-India Framework Agreement on Comprehensive Economic Cooperation
- ASEAN-Japan Framework for CEP (AJCEP)
- ASEAN-Korea FTA
- Australia-China FTA
- Australia-Indonesia TIF
- Australia-Japan TEF
- Australia-UAE FTA
- Australia-US FTA
- Australia-Malaysia FTA
- BIMSTEC Free Trade Framework Agreement
- China-Gulf Cooperation Council
- China-India Preferential Tariff Agreement
- India-Thailand Framework Agreement for Establishing a Free Trade Area
- Japan-Malaysia FTA Accord
- Japan-Philippines FTA
- New Zealand-China Trade & Economic Cooperation Agreement
- New Zealand-Thailand CEP
- Singapore-Australia FTA
- Singapore-China FTA
- Singapore-India Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA)
- South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
- Thai - Australia FTA
- Thailand-Bahrain Framework Agreement on CEP
- Thailand-China Agreement on Accelerated Tariff Elimination
- Thailand-Japan CEP
- Trans-Regional EU-ASEAN Trade Initiative (TREATI)
- US-Bahrain Bilateral TIF
- US-Korea FTA
- US-Malaysia TIF Agreement
- US-Singapore FTA
- US-Thailand FTA
- US-Vietnam Bilateral Trade Agreement (BTA)
- Vietnam-Japan Bilateral Agreement